Author Topic: Belfast boxers  (Read 457886 times)

Mageeka

Re: Belfast boxers
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 02:45:24 AM »
Are you talking Arkie about the bover Terry Ricco
He was Italian/ Irish and a good boxer who didnt get a chance
If it is the same guy  He went 23 rounds with Paddy Graham in St Georges

Paddy was a pro and Ricco was and unranked  nobody
I believe it was then that they closed St Georges  when Paddy Graham was training
Ricco also went 11 rounds with Jim or John Aiken in ST Georges   Aiken was humiliating and making a monkey out of the poor kid and Ricco lost his head and hit Aiken with a nedicine ball,after the 11 round.
BTW Ricco went to jail on a GBH charge against his own brotther in-law when he lost his head again

arkie

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
NO, MAGEEKA, JOHN MC NALLY. HE HADNT THE HEART OR STOMACH TO MIX IT IN THE PRO. GAME. AS I SAID, A VERY GOOD AM.

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »
What's happening at the White House ... Stormont I mean. Have the Assembly members thrown in the towel?  Are Ian and Gerry in training for the fight of the century? Running up and down the Stormont mile should make them fit. Is it true Puncher Prescott has ceased playing croquet?

Seriously though.. here's an article http://www.irish-boxing.com/statues_campaign.htm which was written  four years ago. Will important matters like statues for Rinty and Barry ever receive some serious consideration? What happened to letters regarding this matter written to Sports Minister, Michael McGimpsey? Is anyone up at Stormont doing anything about those letters? Belfast boxing fans deserve better treatment.

Many great fights were fought at the King's Hall, Belfast. Here are some of them. http://www.britishboxing.net/venues_80-Kings-Hall-Belfast-Northern-Ireland.html

giannineo

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 11:26:40 PM »
I believe Freddie Gilroy once owned a pub in Donaghadee.Rinty Moaghan's daughter Collette was the telephonist at the NI hOUSING tRUST IN THE 60'S-g.

arkie

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »
YES FREDDIE DID OWN A PUB IN DONAGHADEE. I SEE HIM OFTEN. HE LOOKS IN GOOD SHAPE. HE WAS TELLING ME HE STILL HASNT GOT HIS LONSDALE BELT BACK. WHEN HE CAME BACK HOME AFTER THE HALIMI FIGHT HE GAVE ME THE SOCKS HE WORE . FOR THE FIGHT.

EllCee

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »
When I arrived at Heathrow on my way to work in Libya, I was introduced to another chap, also on his first trip abroad.  He was Gerry Hassett, son of the boxer. 

I knew Gerry the elder when he was working as a bouncer in the Queen's Court in Bangor in the 1960s, and the younger Gerry and I became friends during our time abroad.

Incidently, I bumped into Gerry the boxer, still "bouncing" in a hotel in Belfast in 1992.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

beegee

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 01:38:33 AM »
more Belfast boxers[of my era] Bunty Doran...Tommy Stewart[York St}Jimmy Warnock who bate Benny Lynch, not once ,but twice.Skinner Doherty and Patsy Quinn from Sailortown       Man dear the list goes on and on!

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 02:05:50 AM »
beegee

Did Jimmy Warnock work in Shorts, the Aircraft factory? I think he worked with my Brother.
My brother was joking around with him one day (I think Jimmy was in his late 50's at the time) and in fun Jimmy hit my brother, from a distance of about 12 inches, in the biceps.
My Brother said his arm was numb for about an hour.
"If someone tells me I've hurt their feelings, I say 'I'm still waiting to hear what your point is'."

beegee

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006, 03:54:21 AM »
bloomfield
              sorry, I dont really know where Jimmy Warnock done his work time-he also had two boxing brothers

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 09:26:55 PM »
WILLIE I SEE NUGENT REGULARLY, ILL ASK HIM FOR SOME DATA. BY THE WAY IS THAT A U S A E MAIL ADDRESS?

Hiya Arkie, I've just noticed that Jerry Nugent's grand daughters Erin and Orla have taken up boxing. http://sh.orty.com/SD7AXLDA

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 09:37:41 PM »
I posted the same message twice by accident.
I have a boxing question though .. was Bertie Meli, a boxer in the fifties, from Belfast or Dublin?

beegee

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 03:56:02 AM »
christopher Im as bad as you!!!    I typed a reply to you    .and i dont know where the hell it went to ! anyways          Bertie  Meli i think    started off with the Immaculatta club  I think he came from the Falls area

Strange that you should mention his name     I was about to try and contact a cousin of his only this morning He lives in WELLINGTON, N,Z    just a couple of hours drive from where Im living----------he is another old ex seaman mate of mine.

naumai

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 07:14:43 AM »
G/day beegee,i'm guessing you are bob g.it is Bernie not Bertie Meli he and my older brother were best friends,Bernie is in South Africa.and if it is Gerry you are talking about he is Bernies brother.they lived just behind st Anthonys on the woodstock. If you are talking to Gerry tell him I,said Hi I guess you know who I am.

beegee

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 09:01:26 AM »
jaysus! Ive just lost another friggen typed letter !!! must be the ould age creepin up on me!  youre right I am bob G-I came abord this site a couple of days ago per  kathleen from the exiles group-----i will be down in Wellinton shortly and ive sort of misplaced gerrys phone number!  Ill get it ok from anothe one of the boyos and i will tell him ive been talking with you-Im toying with the idea of going to belfast next year as the Commomwealth boxing champs are being held at the odysesy. i took a couple of Kiwi mates of mine there a3 years ago when they had the world championships in belfast they want a repeat in belfast again ! I will tell gerry ive been yakkin with you. .and thanks for the info on gerrys---------brother !

GaryO

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »
Dear all

I noticed the following letter in the Belfast Telegraph the other day and wondered if any of you guys might be able to help?  ;)

"Who was Gunboat Smith?

05 July 2006
Can any of your readers help me with information about a former Belfast boxer by the name of Gunboat Smith?

Gunboat Smith fought from 1924 to about 1933 and was living in Liverpool just after the Second World War.

If anyone has information about the full name and background of this fighter I would be most thankful if they would contact me either at my e-mail address ([email protected]) or at 62 Weatacre, Skelmersdale, Lancs. WN8 8AJ.

J E SMITH Skelmerskale"

Gary