Author Topic: NEWS story - petition to remove Ian Paisley MP opened by N.I. Electoral Office  (Read 10327 times)

James James

"03 August 2018"
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/ian-paisley-by-election-petition-to-be-set-up-in-three-north-antrim-towns-1-8589060/amp

"Ian Paisley by-election petition to be set up in three north Antrim towns"

"The petition to remove Ian Paisley as North Antrim MP and force a by-election will be available for signing at three locations in the constituency, it has been confirmed."

"In a public notice in today’s News Letter, the Electoral Office reveals that the petition will be available to sign in north Antrim’s three main towns – Ballymena, Ballymoney and Ballycastle."

"Members of the public who want to force a by-election – in which Mr Paisley has made clear he will stand for re-election – will be able to sign from 9am next Wednesday."

"The petition will be open to sign until 5pm each week day at,...

"The Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre in Ballymoney"

"The Seven Towers Leisure Centre in Ballymena"

"The Sheskburn House Recreation Centre in Ballycastle"

"The petition will remain open to sign for six weeks, until 19 September."

"There will also be evening signings – something required by the legislation governing recall petitions – on September 6 and 13, when the petition can be signed up until 9pm."

"Northern Ireland’s Chief Electoral Officer, Virginia McVea – who is responsible for the process – had discretion under the Recall of MPs Act 2015 to designate up to 10 locations within the constituency for the petition to be signed."

"Meanwhile, the DUP has clarified that Ian Paisley has not left the party after some confusion yesterday in the wake of Parliament redesignating the North Antrim MP as an independent."

"The party confirmed that Mr Paisley remained suspended, rather than having been expelled, and as part of that the party had withdrawn the whip from him."

"That puts him in the same category as MPs such as Ivan Lewis, who is suspended by Labour and is listed as an independent."

"The recall process was automatically triggered when Mr Paisley was given a suspension of 30 sitting days – the longest on record since at least 1949 – over “serious misconduct” relating to taking free luxury holidays from the Sri Lankan government and then lobbying on behalf of the regime without declaring that they had given the valuable gifts to himself and his family."

"The DUP veteran apologised for not declaring the holidays but insisted to Parliament’s standards commissioner that his letter asking the prime minister to change UK policy at the UN to that favoured by Sri Lanka did not amount to lobbying for the regime."

"The petition to remove Mr Paisley will have to be signed by 7,547 people – 10% of the eligible North Antrim electorate – if there is to be a by-election."

"Unlike the situation with an election, any voter – not just those who can provide a legitimate reason for not being able to vote in person – will be able to apply to sign the petition by post."

"That rule, about which DUP chief whip Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has expressed concern, is in place because, unlike an election, it will be known that anyone going into the signing place will be there to sign the petition, reducing the typical anonymity around an election."

"Parties wanting to campaign for people to sign the petition will have to register if they are planning to spend more than £500."

Dot/dash

there is the devil they know                and the devil they don't know         .     I know which

devil I'd choose   
love me          love my gelding     

James James

"19 July 2018"
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/ian-paisley-told-foreign-government-official-he-could-arrange-oil-deals-very-quickly-1-8572516

"Ian Paisley told foreign government official he could arrange oil deals ‘very quickly’ "

"Ian Paisley claimed to a Sri Lankan government employee that he had “two significant arrangements with national oil suppliers in either Oman or Nigeria”."

"The claim, in leaked emails obtained by The Daily Telegraph and published by Parliament, refers to a dinner conversation at which Mr Paisley said “we discussed a potential oil purchase”."

"Mr Paisley said he understood “you require a regular supply and are currently changing your filters on the refinery to take other than Iran oil”."

"He offered that “if you can let me know quantity and quality specifications of oil requirements I can certainly make this happen very quickly”, adding that “this is the most lucrative project you could be involved in”."

"However, when asked about that Mr Paisley said he had “never brokered any oil deal for any gentleman or anyone else and I never met him or any of his colleagues in Africa”."

"He said it was a “total fabrication and nonsense” to suggest that “some sort of illicit trade deal was carried out between myself and a Sri Lankan official”."

"The standards commissioner asked Mr Paisley to provide the names of the oil companies with which he was involved but he declined to do so, saying it was “a conversation between myself on my private email account and a third party”."

"The standards commissioner decided she did not believe she should investigate “this matter further as part of this inquiry” "

My note,... that seems like an astonishingly incomprehensible decision. !

"Looking at the other allegations, Mr Paisley’s peers on the Commons’ Standards Committee found him guilty of “serious misconduct” and said that his actions “were of a nature to bring the House of Commons into disrepute”, recommending the heaviest punishment of an MP for decades."

"The Commons’ standards commissioner, Kathryn Stone – whose report into the matter went to the committee, which endorsed her findings – ruled that the DUP MP had received a “very substantial personal benefit” from the government of Sri Lanka."

"He did not declare the visits – and then went on to lobby the prime minister on behalf of Sri Lankan regime."

"When The Daily Telegraph reported on Mr Paisley’s behaviour last year, he threatened to sue it and claimed its allegations were “devoid of fact or logic”."

"But the commissioner said:"

“I find it surprising that such an experienced MP did not ask himself whether it was proper to accept such benefits from a foreign government."

"I also find it surprising that he did not realise that, if accepted, these benefits would call into question his impartiality when he next spoke about the affairs of that government.”

"Mr Paisley said he was “deeply embarrassed” by the failure to declare the trips but disputed that he undertook paid advocacy for a foreign state."

"In a letter to the commissioner during her investigation, Mr Paisley said:"

“I certainly refute any claims that I made an intentional decision not to register, that it was a secret that I was in Sri Lanka, or, worse, that it impacted any comments or decisions I made then or now as a Parliamentarian.”

"However, both the commissioner and MPs dismissed his argument."

"The commissioner found that Mr Paisley had “breached the House’s rule on paid advocacy” by writing to the prime minister after receiving a gift from Sri Lanka, that he had broken Commons rules by failing to declare the Sri Lankan gifts in his letter to the Prime Minister, and, in a third finding she found that he broke Commons rules by failing to declare the Sri Lankan gifts within 28 days."

jjmack

Why doesn't he just resign, force a by-election, win the seat, go back to the Commons and then he will no longer be suspended ? Job done.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

belle

UMMM...we'll see!
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

tours

Why only 3 centres ???
The Paisleys have friends in high places in North Antrim.
hmmm
They wouldn't be making it difficult for some folk to sigh the thing ???
Never never never....echo's back.

JackM

If there is another by-election, he will walk it. :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

James James

Why only 3 centres  ???
hmmm

Good question.

"03 August 2018"
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/electoral-officer-defends-ian-paisley-petition-locations-1-8590507

"Electoral officer defends Ian Paisley petition locations"

"Northern Ireland’s chief electoral officer has defended her decision to only place the petition to unseat Ian Paisley at three locations rather than the maximum 10."

"The Recall of MPs Act 2015, under which the North Antrim MP is facing the potential of being removed from his position, gives considerable discretion to Northern Ireland’s chief electoral officer, Virginia McVea, in deciding how many locations will be made available to sign the petition."

"She has opted for the petition to be placed in North Antrim’s three main towns, with it being open for signing from next Wednesday at the Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre in Ballymoney, the Seven Towers Leisure Centre in Ballymena and the Sheskburn House Recreation Centre in Ballycastle."

My note,... the article says that her decision has been heavily criticised by many politicians from a number of Ulster political parties.

In the article she gives this explanation and defence of her decision,...

"Ms McVea defended her decision, telling the BBC that she “could have opened one venue or I could have opened 10” under the legislation."

"She added:"

“This runs for a lengthy period - six weeks and during that period I determined that it would be reasonable to expect people to be able to reach these three venues.”

"Unlike an election where polling staff are only required for a single day, the six weeks involved means that each additional location would significantly increase the cost of the process to the public purse."

tours

Which is rather sad, given his selfish, self centred actions.
I would say the same of any politician doing low selfish acts.
The sheep will ba quietly..while the fox feasts.

Bigali

Why only 3 centres ???
hmmm

It's got nothing to do with friends in high places , the Chief Electoral Officer decides where they are situated and she deemed Ballymoney , Ballycastle and Ballymena suffice numbers. These centres for signing will be open until September so plenty of time for people in North Antrim who want to force an election to get to any one of them , and I've absolutely no doubt that in places like Dunloy , Rasharkin , Loughgiel and parts of the Glens that transport will be laid on to make sure people get there to sign the petition.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

White dee

Well if past practice is anything to go by,
why let honesty,integrity get in the way  :)
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

HarryHippo

And celebrate by going on a well deserved holiday  ...  Hurry back Ian junior.
Lux Et Veritas.

James James

It's a very safe DUP seat of course,... and given the DUP constituency voting figures in the last U.K. Parliamentary general election in 2017,... 28,521 votes out of 48,460 with a 5.8% swing to the DUP,... it's very unlikely that he could be overthrown in a by election if he stood as a DUP candidate,... even if a substantial number of DUP voters voted for a candidate from another Unionist Party.

However
,... what if he remained suspended from the DUP and stood as an independent candidate,... and against an alternative DUP candidate. ?

Arlene is a very shrewd politician, and so far most of the criticism about his behaviour has been directed at him personally,... and not at the DUP,... and the DUP has been very prompt to take action to distance itself from his behaviour.

Both Arlene personally,... and the DUP as a Party,... might have much to gain in terms of public relations and DUP voter confidence,... if they selected an alternative DUP constituency election candidate.

Arlene might also consider that there might be the possibility of further future bad publicity in connection with his involvement with the oil business,... she might also take into account that in the last election only 48,460 voters out of 75,657 voted,... and she might be concerned that many more voters might vote against him in a by election as a protest vote,... and if that happened, even if he won the by election,... but with a much reduced DUP majority,... that would be an embarrassment both for Arlene and for the DUP.

HarryHippo

It's a very safe DUP seat of course,... and given the DUP constituency voting figures in the last U.K. Parliamentary general election in 2017,... 28,521 votes out of 48,460 with a 5.8% swing to the DUP,... it's very unlikely that he could be overthrown in a by election if he stood as a DUP candidate,... even if a substantial number of DUP voters voted for a candidate from another Unionist Party.

However
,... what if he remained suspended from the DUP and stood as an independent candidate,... and against an alternative DUP candidate. ?

Arlene is a very shrewd politician, and so far most of the criticism about his behaviour has been directed at him personally,... and not at the DUP,... and the DUP has been very prompt to take action to distance itself from his behaviour.

Both Arlene personally,... and the DUP as a Party,... might have much to gain in terms of public relations and DUP voter confidence,... if they selected an alternative DUP constituency election candidate.

Arlene might also consider that there might be the possibility of further future bad publicity in connection with his involvement with the oil business,... she might also take into account that in the last election only 48,460 voters out of 75,657 voted,... and she might be concerned that many more voters might vote against him in a by election as a protest vote,... and if that happened, even if he won the by election,... but with a much reduced DUP majority,... that would be an embarrassment both for Arlene and for the DUP.
it wont matter in the least ... Ian Jr will be there ....his supporters will be there....  and Arlene  and the DUP will be there  ...
Lux Et Veritas.

Jack The Kipper

I'am not so sure, put Jim Allister against him and there could be a surprise outcome!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!