Author Topic: Merchant Seamen NI  (Read 293049 times)

getzls

Re: Merchant Seamen NI
« Reply #855 on: July 26, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »
Any idea where from in Rathcoole and what did he sail as?.

He was the ship's joiner, don't rem. names of the ships.

He's still around, aged 84 now. Only Braithwaite in Rathcoole although was originally from York Street/Road.

RobRoy

« Reply #856 on: July 26, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

He's still around, aged 84 now. Only Braithwaite in Rathcoole although was originally from York Street/Road.

getzls I take that to mean he was the carpenter?? On ships he would have been known to all as the Chippy. he was usually a shipwright who would have served his apprenticeship with a shipbuilder such as Harlands or John Brown etc. there was no such rating as joiner in the merchant navy. Though it is very possible he was a joiner who became a ships carpenter.
I did know a Headline chippy from York Rd. called Victor Young who would be about the same age as your father. perhaps he knew him?? I only sailed with Headline early 60s for approx 2 years.

twocoats

« Reply #857 on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »

There is another member on the Forum known as Headboatman. Perhaps he knew your Dad.

I never sailed with Head Line although a lot of my classmates did.
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

sonofshanks

« Reply #858 on: July 27, 2013, 12:59:56 AM »
            Was sailing on the BP tanker "British Valour" when the "London Valour" ran aground with loss of life. Gave family and friends some worries as the ships names were similar,knew nothing about it myself as I was on the other side of the world.
  Keep the photos coming ,some very interesting even to people like me who spent 20 years at sea. We who served our time in Mackies had the chance to go, some were'nt interested,some were  but for a variety of reasons could'nt go and some like myself,nothing was going to stop me. No where in your posts either here or the Mackies site have  you ever give any suggestion you were in the MN. Like many you just have a great interest in ships and sealife. Keep up the good work.

Many thanks for your kind words.  O0
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

headboatman

« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »

There is another member on the Forum known as Headboatman. Perhaps he knew your Dad.

I never sailed with Head Line although a lot of my classmates did.
Knew Victor Young from the Torr Head and the late Rab Boyd also choppier,do not remember a Braithwaite but there was a lot of Headboats around.

twocoats

« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »
MV Caltex Kenya.

My first ship as Third Mate with my brand new Second Mates Ticket.

Spent nine months on her. Great Ship, Great Captain and Crew and Great Company.

This is a copy of a painting taken from the Ships photos website.

RobRoy

« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »
MV Caltex Kenya.

My first ship as Third Mate with my brand new Second Mates Ticket.

Spent nine months on her. Great Ship, Great Captain and Crew and Great Company.

This is a copy of a painting taken from the Ships photos website.

That's a great painting TC and a milestone in your career which will be unforgettable.  We have just had the mother and father of thunderstorms here and it combined with your post here reminded me of a great thunderstorm. I was farmer on the 8-12 and the lookout was on the monkey island. Cretic bound from Fiji to Auckland when the storm began, Lightening flying along the aerial onto the foremast and down the stays into the ocean with a loud hiss and that special smell which is unforgettable.
The 3O telling me to come down into the wheelhouse, I saying no it's great up here. Then relieved by first wheel for smokeo, when I returned the rain was lashing down so. .wheelhouse and radar.  I love thunderstorms. Anyone can sail in calm water. ;)

twocoats

« Reply #862 on: July 28, 2013, 03:38:25 AM »
That's a great painting TC and a milestone in your career which will be unforgettable.  We have just had the mother and father of thunderstorms here and it combined with your post here reminded me of a great thunderstorm. I was farmer on the 8-12 and the lookout was on the monkey island. Cretic bound from Fiji to Auckland when the storm began, Lightening flying along the aerial onto the foremast and down the stays into the ocean with a loud hiss and that special smell which is unforgettable.
The 3O telling me to come down into the wheelhouse, I saying no it's great up here. Then relieved by first wheel for smokeo, when I returned the rain was lashing down so. .wheelhouse and radar.  I love thunderstorms. Anyone can sail in calm water. ;)

Here's your old ship "Cretic"

I remember well the runs between New Zealand and Papua/New Guinea and Fiji/Samoa/Tonga with Bank Line.

As a young Apprentice. The smell of the South Seas remains with me still...

twocoats

« Reply #863 on: July 28, 2013, 05:06:19 AM »
Hi Breda here is the first of four photos that I have found of the..

SS CARNDUFF

I know the name has a special meaning for you so I will try and find out something about the name...

Maybe SOS can help

cyprus girl

« Reply #864 on: July 28, 2013, 05:08:59 AM »
Thanks TC, really appreciate that :-*
Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-eo

twocoats

« Reply #865 on: July 28, 2013, 05:21:42 AM »
S.S.CARNDUFF 1910-55

The   S.S."CARNDUFF"

Was built, by Ramage & Ferguson Ltd., at Leith   (Yard No 222) and completed in July during the year of 1910 for W.J.R. Harbinson   of  Larne.N.I . Constructed with   one deck, part of which was of iron. The steamer  had an open wheelhouse.   As  with most vessels built around this time, cargo battens were   not fitted. The vessel was powered by a two cylinder 15"+32"-24-130lb   engine that was placed aft. This engine was also built by Ramage & Ferguson   Ltd.,

The length of the ship was one hundred and twenty five feet two   inch's  inches   and twenty two feet six inches wide. There was a gross tonnage of two hundred   and fifty seven tons with a net tonnage of ninety two tons. The loaded draught   was nine feet two inches. Registered and classified at Lloyds as +100 A1. The   official number of the ship was 55602, (although some records state 129633)   with a signal code/call sign of MFQJ.     The port of registry was Belfast and the flag British. In   1921 the owners became Howden Brothers Ltd., (Larne) and later, in 1933, changing   to Howdens Ltd., The "CARNDUFF" was one of the very few ships that  remained with the same owners throughout her long life.

Could the CARNDUFF have been named after a small isolated village, also  called CARNDUFF.? That village is situated a short distance from Strathaven,  approximately 15 miles from Kilmarnaock.

Point of interest. Steamers built  around this time and, shortly after the turn of the century, often had a open  wheelhouse.  The reason given for this was, that the weather would prevent  the helmsman from falling asleep at the wheel.

cyprus girl

« Reply #866 on: July 28, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
Well TC I think you've answered our question, Jim didn't know about the village with the same name.
   Thank you  :-*
Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-eo

twocoats

« Reply #867 on: July 28, 2013, 05:34:35 AM »
1934.August the 1st. Ballyshannon. The first recorded incident was a stranding that took place in Tirconaill Bay (Now Donegal Bay). The vessel managed to refloat her-self without any assistance. There is no information regarding damage sustained, if any.      1938. August the 3rd. Liverpool.  Shortly after sailing for Larne there was  problems  with the ships boilers. This necessitated a return to Liverpool, and a two day stop over in the Number 2 Branch of the Alexandra Dock. Repairs were completed by the 6th, on which day the voyage to Larne was resumed.   
  1946. September the 1st. While bound for Larne from Silloth (Solway Firth) with a general cargo. When in a position just off Curran Point, and  at the entrance to the Bank Quay, the ship ran aground.
nd so she remained for the next five days. After been refloated, and upon been surveyed  it was found that a total of 15 shell plates had been damaged and had to be renewed. There was also a further 6 plates that had to be removed repaired (faired) and replaced.   
                                                                             photo John Clarkson  1947. October the 4th.  When in the Mersey and in dense fog, the crew were preparing the mooring ropes  to make fast at Birkenhead, after arriving from Belfast.

The "CARNDUFF" ran hard aground just south of the Seacombe Landing stage at Birkenhead. The time being  about 4. am. She was refloated the same day and by 11.30am had entered the Alfred Dock at Birkenhead.
Only moderate damage had occurred to the starboard side with a few plates being indented.   This did not in any way effect the vessel, and no repairs were  required.
1948.June  the 23rd. A burst circulation pipe, that supplied water to the engine, forced the ship, that was on a voyage from  Garston to Larne, to return  to  Garston. The vessel sailed again the following day.   
                                                                                                                                               Photo ?1950.April the 30th. While on passage in ballast, from Glenarm, and bound towards  Maryport, and in dense fog, the vessel ran aground in Larne Loch. It was later refloated the same day, and proceeded to Larne for examination. The extent of the damage, if any was  not ascertained.   
1955.November. This was the month that the S.S. "CARNDUFF" made her final voyage. It was to the yard of John Lee at Belfast.  She was to be broken up and her metal to be reused in another guise.

twocoats

« Reply #868 on: July 28, 2013, 05:35:27 AM »
Well TC I think you've answered our question, Jim didn't know about the village with the same name.
   Thank you  :-*

Glad to be of service neighbour.... :-* :-*

sonofshanks

« Reply #869 on: July 28, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »
Hi Breda here is the first of four photos that I have found of the..

SS CARNDUFF

I know the name has a special meaning for you so I will try and find out something about the name...

Maybe SOS can help

I suspect the name `Carnduff`` is taken from the Townland of the same name which encompasses Ballycastle and surrounding district.
The photo of `Carnduff` loading / unloading at the Harbour wall, is I suspect, at Donaghadee
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy