Author Topic: East Belfast  (Read 35589 times)

BLOOMFIELD

Re: East Belfast
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 02:46:55 AM »
Christopher

There were indeed allotments there, my uncle leased one.
Starting from the Orangefield Lane, and going towards the railway lines, that went under North Road, was----Buller's field (owned by the Buller family) then allotments all the way to the railway lines.
There was a path from North Road to Sandown Road.
“Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles.” ORWELL

Christopher

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 11:15:57 AM »
Thanks Bloomfield. I think I cycled along there when I was a seven or eight year old with a guy from the Green Road. His surname was Nelson. he had a younger brother and an older sister. Years later I saw her working in Brands and Normans in Castle Lane. Did Castle Arcade run off Castle Lane. Inglis Bakery had a shop on the corner .. the shop was at street level .. you went up the stairs to a lovely restaurant. I sometimes went there for lunch when I worked in the city.

joskillen

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 04:58:06 AM »
Hi people I'm new to the site Born and raised in East Belfast  Fraser St on the Newtownards Rd Then Kenilworth St  same road .Then Foundry St.Went to Beechfield Primary School and then Templemore Avenue.
Hung out with girls from Parker St .I have been living in Calgary Alberta since 1967 ,out just in time to avoid the troubles. Still have 7 siblings in Belfast and Bangor .      Whiteside family.

olelad

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 07:18:02 AM »
the picture house on the woodstock was called the willowfield when it opened but changed its name to the rex in the 60s.
cheeryville st clinic was everyones nightmare ;D i went to get a tooth out, got gas and my mum had to carry me home. i was about 9 or 10 years old !!

rosiejane

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »
Olelad -

I remember the Willowfield picture house being known as 'the Winkie' (and quite a flea pit, the Castle as 'the cackle' and of course the Ambassador as the 'ambo'. 

Incidentally I got my first pair or specs at the age of 7, next door to the Winkie at an opticians called Whittaker's.  He used to scare the wits out of me, a big English man he was.

olelad

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2006, 11:33:43 AM »
Olelad -

I remember the Willowfield picture house being known as 'the Winkie' (and quite a flea pit, the Castle as 'the cackle' and of course the Ambassador as the 'ambo'. 

Incidentally I got my first pair or specs at the age of 7, next door to the Winkie at an opticians called Whittaker's.  He used to scare the wits out of me, a big English man he was.

i got my first specs of an optician on the creagah rd corner of loopland drive. just across from the ambassador. the house is still there but not now used as an opticians.
as for picture houses. the rex was alway my fav. we used to get in for all the horror movies and we were all about 11 or 12 years old ;D
i remember us all been really impressed by the good the bad and the ugly 8) great film and still enjoy westerns and of course horror movies.
the ambassador in the early 70s only showed adult movies so if we wasnt going to the rex we went to the picturedrome or curson. anyone know when the picturedrome closed ? i cant remember ever been in the castle but it so close to were i lived i must have been in there !!

weedotty

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »
Olelad,
You said you lived close to  the Castle picture house...where exactly?
My maternal Grandmother spent most of her days  in Jonesboro Street, just  around the corner from the Castle. My cousin went to Houston St., school.
When I think  of the Castle, I remember  Flash  Gordon in serial form...couldn't wait to go the following week to see if he was going to get the "baddies"

olelad

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2006, 07:30:12 AM »
Olelad,
You said you lived close to  the Castle picture house...where exactly?
My maternal Grandmother spent most of her days  in Jonesboro Street, just  around the corner from the Castle. My cousin went to Houston St., school.
When I think  of the Castle, I remember  Flash  Gordon in serial form...couldn't wait to go the following week to see if he was going to get the "baddies"

i lived on the woodstock rd just down from redcar st. so not far from either the castle or euston st school. there was a play ground not far from the castle what st was that in ?

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
olelad

The Park was Clara Park, and the street was Clara Street.
Clara Street ran from Castlereagh Rd, to Beersbridge Rd.
I think the Castle was at the corner of Clara Street / Castlereagh Rd.
I used to go from the Bloomfield Rd roundabout to Clara St in the bus for 1/2 penny, if I travelled before 5 P.M.  After 5 P.M. it was 1 penny.

I still have a large scar on my left kneecap that I got falling off one of the slides in the Park.

Is the Park still there?  I have a Belfast map from 1994, and it is shown , with the Baptist church beside it.
“Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles.” ORWELL

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2006, 05:11:40 PM »
Did your mothers do any knitting? Maybe some of you knitted too. I sold wool to two women who had three wool shops. One on the left hand side of the Holywood Road, near the Arches (if you were heading into town), one on the Crumlin Road on the opposite side to the Pro Cathedral and the third on the Shankill Road. They traded under the name Knitter's Kneeds. There was a Pet shop on the same side on the Holywood Road and also a shop that sold scrap materials .. ends of large rolls of curtaining and dressmaking materials.

Mother had an account in Prices of Mountpottinger. I remember accompanying her there and watching the money being put into tubes which went along wires. The assistant had to pull a handle to start in moving. A member of the Price family owned a lovely large house in its own grounds, which could be seen from the road, between Carryduff and Ballynahinch. I think there was a family of Prices in Dublin with a mens outfitting shop. They were relatives of the family who owned the store at Mountpottinger

craigyroo

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »
I lived in the Knock area of East Belfast from 1945. East Belfast includes the Albertbridge Road, Beersbridge Road (runs from Upper Newtownards Road over the Templemore Avenue/Caslereagh Road and on to the Woodstock Road), Newtownards Road, Upper Newtownards Road, Woodstock and Cregagh Roads, Castlereagh Road and Knock Road (that is part of the ring road round the city nowdays).

I was brought up In ravensdale street, then the Beersbridge road, (ever here of the Chapmans Christopher?) from there we moved to Epworth street (Lord street),since knocked down and rebulit,from there Glenallen street,off Albertbridge road, back to the Beersbridge again, then Lewis(off Severn street) and now the holywood road beside the strand picture house talk about a tour of the East.

Christopher

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2006, 03:07:53 PM »
Buller's field (owned by the Buller family) then allotments
Were the Buller family in the dairying business ???

Still have 7 siblings in Belfast and Bangor .      Whiteside family.

My Mum played Bridge at Knock Golf Club with a Mrs Whiteside, probably in the 60s and 70s, her husband may have been a builder. I think his yard was near the Upper Newtownards Road fire station, below Ballyhackamore

then the Beersbridge road, (ever here of the Chapmans Christopher?)

??? Chapmans ???

ulsterstan

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »
I was a member of Ledley Hall Boy,s Club  at the Albertbridge end of Lord St.  played football for them ,we'd have some great parties with the girls in the Thorndyke club. Also was in the 39th. old boys flute band ,practised at the wee hall on the Beersbridge Rd by Avoniel  St. Think it was the Elim Mission Hall, Jimmy Galway was in the band at that time but sorry to say I didn't keep up with him .
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »
My godfather, Michael Brown, was on the management committee of Ledley Hall Boys Club. When the Alliance Party started he joined. He was a local councillor and at one time held the post of High Sheriff of the City of Belfast.

weedotty

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »
Thorndyke Street Club....I remember my Mum taking me to the club for tap dancing lessons. I beleive the  last one I was practising was the Sailor's  Hornpipe. ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy