Author Topic: ST PAULS CHURCH FALLS RD.  (Read 2902 times)

deirdre

ST PAULS CHURCH FALLS RD.
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
Hi,looking for a info on an accident when my great grandfather Thomas Kerr fell from the roof of st Pauls while it was being built...also any photos of the church at that time and the date it was built...it is believed he survived the fall but died a year or two later.. many thanks D

rathlin

Re: ST PAULS CHURCH FALLS RD.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Photographs, as we know them, did not appear in newspapers in Belfast until 1907.  Before that they were drawns which were carved out on wooden blocks and carved in reverse of the actual drawing.  I will get the details of the opening and try and get you info from it.  I would not hold out much hope as little unformation was published.  Only major incidents were were published.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

deirdre

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
Photographs, as we know them, did not appear in newspapers in Belfast until 1907.  Before that they were drawns which were carved out on wooden blocks and carved in reverse of the actual drawing.  I will get the details of the opening and try and get you info from it.  I would not hold out much hope as little unformation was published.  Only major incidents were were published.
..thanks rathlin..if i had a date then i could search the newspaper archives...any help would be great.

Me Ould Segoia

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:31:01 AM »
..thanks rathlin..if i had a date then i could search the newspaper archives...any help would be great.

The first sod for the building of St.Pauls was cut on 13th June 1884.  The architect was J.J.McDonnell, the contractor was Charles Boyd from Lonsdale St and the builder responsible for all the interior work was J.Fagan from Cosgrove St. The cost was 4000.
The cost of building was being met by Bishop Dorrian personally.  When Bishop Dorrian died in November 1885 work on the building stopped for almost a year until the new Bishop, Bishop McAlister arranged funding.
The first Mass celebrated in St.Pauls was at 8.00am on Sunday 24th July 1887.  The Church was officially consecrated by Bishop McAlister on 23rd October 1887.  The first Administrator was Fr. Jame McArdle.  St.Pauls was raised from "a district of St Peters" to the status of a parish in 1905, the first Parish Priest was Fr.Patrick Convery.
It is always a great source of amusement to be quoted by a fool, even more so if quoted by a disalusioned "stickie"

deirdre

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »
thank you so much...this gives me something to work on.. :)