Author Topic: DAVID LECKEY (12yrs old) MISSING since 1969  (Read 29039 times)

Darren Brown

Re: DAVID LECKEY (12yrs old) MISSING since 1969
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
Hi Road Hog,
Good to hear from you. You raise a very good point. I have given the names of the other boys to the Cold Case detectives who are currently searching for the lost files. Hopefully they will retrieve something.

mcd

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »
 Hello Darren,  Welcome    This is a heartbreaker and I feel for Davids mother all those years of not knowing where her child was  is so sad.   I  was still living at  home  (NI ) at the time this happened. I have wrecked my brain trying to remember.   Do you have any more info on the other young boy at all ?    I tried to get the Tele archives but didn't see any mention (could have been looking in the wrong spot)    I wish you well in what you are hoping to do for this family .
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Darren Brown

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
Hi Mcd,
The names and details of the four kids that went missing are, Jonathan Aven 14yrs old from 21 Sydenham Drive, Belfast, went missing on 20th September 1969, David Leckey 12yrs old, went missing 5 days later on the 25th September 1969. John David Glennon, 16yrs old, from Divismore Crescent, Andersontown Road and Ronald Kirk, 16yrs old from Barn Road, Carrickfergus, both disappeared on the 8th January 1970. An article appeared in the Sunday News in November 1970 with the police still looking for these boys. I searched all the local papers through to 1972 to see if there were any follow up articles, unfortunately not. My understanding is that these boys still remain missing. I also am aware of at least one other boy that went missing in 1969 by the name of J.Lesithen. Maybe someone within this forum is a relative or friend of these families and can shed some light. It really amazed me the lack of media attention on all these cases. The papers were filled with 'The Troubles'. I think i was lucky to find what i did. 

road hog

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
Darren, in my view,these kids where from different parts of the city,meaning, they where not all from one particular area, which
in my view rules out a person who was " watching " children from that area. The question is to ask, is, who would have free movement in Belfast in that situation, 1969 and be able to abduct children at road blocks etc: with out being questioned. Why have the files " DISAPPEARED"
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

belle

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
hello roadhog, what an interesting point!
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

ge

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:02 PM »
Shocked at Darren's information - 4 boys missing in such a short timeframe.
Heart goes out to families.What suffering they have gone/are still going through.
Was a schoolgirl myself at the time and heard nothing. 
No surprise files missing - seems HET often finds files missing and evidence destroyed when they review old cases.
Best wishes for every success in search for information

buttercup

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
 This story reminded me of the two little boys Thomas Spence and John Rodgers who disappeared on their way to school on November 1974 they were waiting at the bus stop a Rockville Street on the Falls Road to go to their special needs school up the Antrim Road , they never arrived and haven,t been heard of since, John was 13 and Thomas was 10, I also remember there was a paedophile ring involving Civil Servants , Police and Justices of the Peace in Belfast , this was the Kincora Scandal , Three men were arrested Joesph Menes , William Mc Grath and H. Semple , there was a witness at the trial Hugh Quinn .  the Spence family have said they gave  photos of Thomas to the police and they mysteriously  vanished.  Something isn,t right about the disappearance of these Children , an author Barry Cummins wrote a book about  itcalled without a trace Irelands missing.   

Darren Brown

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
Hi Buttercup,
I wasn't aware of Thomas and John's story. So terribly sad for all the kids that have disappeared and there families. Oakleigh School on the Ravenhill road which David attended also facilitated special needs. Its interesting you raise the Kincora Scandal, I have looked into this also as many of the children from Kincora attended Oakleigh School. I am of the understanding some were in David's class. I am still not sure as the dates don't exactly match up. McGrath who was regarded as the ring leader didn't start employment at Kincora until 1971. I don't honestly know if the dreadful things that went on at Kincora were pre 1971, If they did go on before this date then its obvious why McGrath chose to work there. All this makes you wonder how many children have actually disappeared without trace within the last 50 years in Northern Ireland alone. It really is so sad and pathetic of our society, that while the authorities attention was on other things, our children seemed to disappear at will. We can all guess Why, but Who? and Where?

road hog

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 08:23:27 AM »
Darren, an investigative reporter worth their salt would relish this case. I would think about approaching a member of the press
on this matter.
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Darren Brown

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 01:04:39 AM »
Hi Road Hog,

I recently spoke with a well known investigative journalist who is fascinated with the case and not just David's but the other boys as well. At this stage i am allowing the cold case detectives some room to see what they can come up with. The problem with all these cases is obviously the passing of time. So i do understand there difficulties. I see this as the last real opportunity for any of these families to find out what happened to there loved ones. I believe going public through the broadcast media in order try and reach the conscience of the people with the truth, the persons directly involved, is the last hope. If they haven't already passed away they are heading in that direction. A chance to come clean before they meet their maker. However its not for me to make that call. I would need the support and blessing of all the families involved. Locating them could be difficult without the police files.     

Wendl

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 01:39:48 AM »
Darren....
So sad that Annie went to her grave not nowing what happened to her little boy.  I can't even imagine the pain she must have suffered for all those years.  Keep pushing the journalist to get an article in the paper....the atmosphere has changed somewhat in Belfast now, and hopefully someone will have the courage to come forward with information.  Wishing you all the best in your quest for the truth!
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

teehall

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
 Park Education Resource Centre is the new name for Oakleigh School.
Donaghy,McVeigh,Graham,Weir,Niblock,Taggart,Larmour,Hall,Finlay,Pinnins.Clifford,Leader,Martin,Kane,Boyd,Jordan.

Darren Brown

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Hi Teehall,
Thankyou for that. I have contacted the school. They are going to check but they are not sure if the records they have kept go back to 1969

Regards
Darren

rusty

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
So sorry for the families of these young lads .Would it be worth going to the tv programes like  spotlight. Even the newspapers  the sunday world or sunday life. Surely some one would want to follow this up . Good luck Darren, praying you will get some news .God Bless.

Joe Brennan

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
I can't believe this has happenened and there has been no major reporting on the case!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy