Author Topic: Prices Store - Albertbridge Road  (Read 3379 times)

yourpete

Prices Store - Albertbridge Road
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Any memories of this department type store...at No. 125-129   now long gone.
On the right going out of town just before The Mount and traffic lights at Castlereagh Street.
Any old Photos?

Extract from 1907 St Directory C/o Lennon/Wylie site

123. Thomson, James, wholesale and retail china and hardware merchant
125, 127, 129. Price & Co., wholesale and retail drapers; residences, Jas. Price, Claremont, Bloomfield; W. J. Price, Edermine, Strandtown
131. Davidson & Murray, pharmaceutical chemists
 ....The Mount Intersects
Genealogy is like my sock drawer - you find one and its ages before the other turns up!

Christopher

Re: Prices Store - Albertbridge Road
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »
There is a large house on the RHS of the road coming from Belfast to Ballynahinch ... on a slight hill in it own grounds ... it was known as Price's house.

I think F. G. Wilson, or a member of the Wilson family, of the engineering company, owned the property sometime in the past ten years. 

machinehead

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
Hello,
My first post.

My mother worked in Prices as a young girl in the late 40s early 50s.
During the 60/70s she went back to help out at Christmas.

I was born in 1957 but I remember very well Mr Price coming to visit us personally ( by bus!!) in Dundonald to ask my mother to once again, come back to work for him during the Christmas rush.
This must have been around 1966 to say, 1970.

I can rememeber being with my father in his car.  We were parked across teh road waiting for my mother to finish work. At that time it was a vacate piece of land at the edge of Short Strand I think.
I can rememeber the cash flying overhead in little containers on the taut wire to the cash office.
Hope this helps to jog some memories.

yourpete

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »
Hi Machinehead,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Yes -  thanks for those memories. I also remember the overhead system for handling the cash. From memory the money was loaded into a container then a cord was pulled and a spring type mechanism sent the thing off at high speed on overhead wire rails to a central cash office.

I  seem to remember that each year I was taken to Prices to get a school uniform.

The many shops opposite were taken over for road widening and also for housing redevelopment which would explain your memories of the vacant ground.

I remember 2 purchases in particular and both must have been Army or War surplus.
1st was a silk parachute  :-\.not full size but enough for a small package (or dog  ;D ).
I used the canvas bag it came in as my school bag. The second was a pair of lambskin mittens which had a folding flap that would cover your fingers when needed. Very cheap but the best of quality and were a must have item in our school.
Genealogy is like my sock drawer - you find one and its ages before the other turns up!

machinehead

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »
haha I also remember James ?? butchers and poultry shop where the rabbits and pheasant used to hang outside.
I think it was on the corner facing Prices but I might be wrong.  It was close by though.

Dingaling

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »
haha I also remember James ?? butchers and poultry shop where the rabbits and pheasant used to hang outside.
I think it was on the corner facing Prices but I might be wrong.  It was close by though.
Was James not the fish-shop? I think the butcher was McCarty.

Dingaling

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »
Does anybody remember Jimmy Feelys across the road from Prices? It was a haven for children, he had windmills, flags, matchbox cars, dolls feeding bottles,Remember those in glass with rubber teets? My mother usually tried to avoid going past the shop with two of us always clamouring for something. And also because he kept tomcats in the shop and the stink was almighty.

bigeye

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
hi ding  feely used to have a fish and chip shop there if i can rem right,and i think there was a fruit shop close bye , mortons comes to mind and below  prices  the bon marche

Dingaling

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:36 AM »
What year were you thinking of here, bigeye?
There was a fruit and veg. shop down a bit going towards Prim St. And after that a grocery store run by Mr Hall. He sold biscuits in paper bags. The whole place smelt of bacon which was on the marble counter and he used to cut it on a bacon-cutting machine.I remember my mother still having a ration book.As far as I know there was rationing up to 1955. Around that time there was no chippy on that part of the Albertbridge Road.Anybody remember Ticky Park and why was it called that?

Right on the corner to Prim Street was a Wine Dealer called Tohill Vino where you could also get white lemonade.

bigeye

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
hi ding,  prob in the 50s.  mortons fruit shop was maybe on the woodstock rd  close to mc coys butchers i lived close to mount street on the woodstock   cheers tom

Norseman

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:26 AM »
I used to get Lucky Dips from Jimmy Feely's - 3d ! he had big ones for 2s.0d but you only got one of those for your Birthday. They were full of just about everything! The 3d ones were kept in a small barrel, and Cecil ( Jimmy was his Dad) would hold it out so you could have a real good hoke! I can remember Grace Feely dying, I think she was Cecil's wife. I lived round the corner at 255 Mountpottinger Rd. right across from the Picturedrome.

Terms of Use Privacy Policy